18 August 2017

Uncle Herbert: time is running out

Time Travel
Action & Adventure

By Philip C. Elrod

Paperback 308 pages
Publisher Independently published (24th Feb 2017)
ASIN B06WLNY11K
ISBN-13 978-1520676197






📕My Review

Andrew Benson's eccentric Uncle Herbert is a genius who invents a time machine. Whilst journeying into the future he makes a gargantuan error and returns to the present with a virus that, if released, will obliterate all life on Earth. With no alternative, he seals himself into his laboratory deep underground and gives nephew Andrew and lawyer Cosmo the ominous task of procuring a thermonuclear bomb that will destroy not only the laboratory and virus but also Uncle Herbert himself.

This is a fun tale with an eclectic cast of characters. It's well-written and forges ahead at a good pace with plenty of humorous situations. I'm a sucker for a good time travel novel and at first I wasn't convinced by the route this was taking. However, with a few chapters under my belt, I knew I was going to like it. I'm not a big fan of comedy - I like my fiction to be serious - but this had just the right balance. It was a good read without being too OTT for my tastes. It was certainly an enjoyable and fresh approach to the time travel genre. 

My thanks to author Philip C. Elrod for providing a copy of this book.

Barnsey's Books Rating 

📗The Blurb

Many families have a weird relative somewhere in the family tree. But, Andrew Benson would have chopped down that tree if he’d known what his diabolically clever Uncle Herbert had planned for him. Uncle Herbert seems to be a harmless misfit but he has set in motion events that will drastically change Andrew, his family, and perhaps the entire world, forever. A wise owl might say, "Uncle Herbert is a hoot!"
Uncle Herbert will bestow his estate on Andrew…with a string attached; Andrew must complete a difficult and dangerous task by a certain date. As the clock ticks down to zero hour, Andrew will embark on a mission that leads him across the world. He will encounter, adventure, international crime, violence and romance… and if he fails, it could place the entire world in great peril.

No comments: