13 April 2018

The Caller (Robert Hunter #8)

Photo of The Caller by Chris Carter
Crime
Thriller

A 2018 Top Rated Read

By Chris Carter

Paperback 496 pages
Publisher Simon & Schuster (27th July 2017)
ASIN B017HOQMV2
ISBN-13 978-1471156328

'Carter has a background in criminal psychology and the killers at the centre of his novels are all the more terrifying for it.' Mail on Sunday, chosen for 'If You Only Pack One'
📕My Review

When Tanya Kaitlin accepts a video call request from her best friend Karen Ward, she's shocked to her core. Karen has been taken captive, gagged and bound to a chair in her own home. Her captor explains in a distorted voice that Karen will be freed if Tanya correctly answers two questions. The first is fairly easy, lulling her into a false sense of security, but the second, despite racking her brain, eludes her. Her friend's fate is sealed. Tanya is forced to watch as Karen is brutally murdered.

Detective Robert Hunter and partner Carlos Garcia of the LAPD Homicide Special Section are assigned to the case. They quickly realise the killer, dubbed 'The Demon', is using social media to stalk his victims. But can they stop him before someone else falls prey? The hunt is on...

This was my first Chris Carter book and I thought it was simply amazing. His writing style appealed to me from the get-go. The cliffhanger chapter endings caused an adrenaline rush that left me hungry to read more. Although a relatively long book, it wasn't bogged down or 'wordy'. I found it a refreshingly easy read and I literally flew through the chapters.

The plot was ingenious and completely up-to-date with its use of modern technology / social media. The mix of detective (Robert Hunter) who is both cop and psychologist was brilliant. Watching him in action as his cogs whirred and the pieces came together was quite something else!

I came into this series at book 8, so I'm incredibly thrilled to discover I have a lot of catching up to do. If the other books are only half as good, I wont be disappointed. This one was a fantastic read.

Book Source: Purchased copy
Rating 

Other reviews:
The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter #1)

📗The Blurb

Be careful before answering your next call. It could be the beginning of your worst nightmare.

After a tough week, Tanya Kaitlin is looking forward to a relaxing night in, but as she steps out of her shower, she hears her phone ring. The video call request comes from her best friend, Karen Ward. Tanya takes the call and the nightmare begins.

Detectives Robert Hunter and Carlos Garcia are thrown into a rollercoaster of evil, chasing a predator who scouts the streets and social media networks for victims, taunting them with secret messages and feeding on their fear.

📘The Author

Photo of author Chris Carter
Biographies can be an absolute drag, so I won’t bore anyone with a long life story.

I was born in Brasilia, Brazil where I spent my childhood and teenage years. After graduating from high school, I moved to the USA where I studied psychology with specialization in criminal behaviour. During my University years I held a variety of odd jobs, ranging from flipping burgers to being part of an all male exotic dancing group.

I worked as a criminal psychologist for several years before moving to Los Angeles, where I swapped the suits and briefcases for ripped jeans, bandanas and an electric guitar. After a spell playing for several well known glam rock bands, I decided to try my luck in London, where I was fortunate enough to have played for a number of famous artists. I toured the world several times as a professional musician.

A few years ago I gave it all up to become a full time writer.

Chris Carter's website

No comments: